Mohawk Cushion Systems Present Plenty Of Excellent Options
Rest Assured That Your Carpet Is Protected with Enhanced Perormance
Mohawk’s residential cushion systems meet or exceed FHA/HUD requirements and follow the current CRI Installation Standard.
Even more impressive, ALL Mohawk cushions are environmentally friendly and CRI Green Label certified. This means that your carpet and the planet is protected no matter which Mohawk Cushion System you choose for your home.
Mohawk ComfortCushion covers all the basics:
- Act as a shock absorber to extend carpet life
- Add comfort under foot
- Increase insulating properties
- FHA Class I or Class II certified
- All Comfort cushions meet or exceed fiber manufacturer’s warranty requirements for carpet
When you install GuardianCushion under Mohawk carpets, you receive free extended warranty upgrades. Not to mention, Mohawk GuardianCushion offers these additional features:
- Visco Memory Foam for soft, plush feel
- Moisture barrier film to block spills
- Antimicrobial additives inhibit the growth of mold, mildew and fungus
Of course, SmartCushion by Mohawk represents the premium branded cushion to serve your home and protect your carpet. When you install SmartCushion, not only are you getting the perfect carpet cushion with the industry’s best warranty upgrades, but you are also supporting a great cause.
Learn more about our Decorate for the Cure event with SmartCushion by Mohawk and Susan G. Komen for the Cure to help fund ongoing breast cancer research.
Additional Rebond Cushion Options
Mohawk Fresh Solutions cushions are offered in multiple thicknesses and densities to meet a variety of needs and price points.
Antimicrobial Additives on all styles feature multiple benefits, including:
- Inhibiting growth of bacteria, mold and mildew to ensure lasting hygienic freshness
- A treatment that resists repeated commercial and residential cleanings or shampooing
- A built-in deodorizer and built-in resistance to the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew
Wetlock Moisture Barrier Film on select styles prevents spills from seeping into cushion and sub-floor and eliminates stains that reappear after cleaning.
90% recycled content in this LEED-certified environmentally–friendly cushion minimizes landfill waste. CRI Green Label–certified for air quality
Mohawk Cushion Systems Provide Eco–Friendly Carpet Protection
Commercial or Residential: Synthetic Fiber Cushion
Specifiers Choice synthetic cushions are available in five densities and are ideal for all berber and other loop pile carpets, all residential styles and various commercial and institutional installations.
Proving even more versatile, Specifiers Choice is also recommended for radiant heated floors.
- Recommended for all berber, loop pile carpet and residential styles
- Ideal for commercial/institutional use, especially wheelchairs areas
- Recommended for installation over radiant heated floors– low R–value
- Provides more comfort underfoot than direct glue–down carpet installation
- Superior ability to retain density & resist breakdown from moisture/wear
- Offers greater resiliency than natural fiber cushions to enhance carpet life and increase effectiveness of vacuum cleaning
- Reduces carpet maintenance and accommodates wet cleaning methods
- Resists moisture/mildew; can be used below grade (below ground level)
- Provides added thermal and acoustical insulation
- No BHT yellowing
- Meets or exceeds FHA requirements (except 20–oz.)
Specialty Cushions — Rug Assist — For Area Rugs
Mohawk’s Rug Assist and Rug Assist II are specially designed for use with rugs, either over hard surfaces or over carpet.
- Made in the USA of 100% recycled synthetic carpet fibers and latex rubber
- FHA Class I rating for residential or light commercial use
- Rubber side provides cushion; embossed pattern grips hard surfaces
- Abrasive fiber side to grip rug backing
- Available in 6– and 12–ft. widths
100% recycled synthetic fibers are environmentally friendly and carry CRI Green Label certification for air quality assurance.
Rug Assist and Rug Assist II — Reversible Rug Cushions.
On hard surfaces (rubber side down)
- Keeps rugs from slipping, sliding, and repositioning
- Provides a plusher feel underfoot
- Reduces wear and extends rug life
- Protects wood floors from carpet backing damage
- Hides grout lines in rugs on ceramic floors
- Holds rug to make vacuuming easier
- Absorbs weight of furniture on rug
On carpet (rubber side up)
- Reduces wrinkling and repositioning of rug
- Holds rug to make vacuuming easier
General Guidelines For Providing the Perfect Carpet Foundation...
...The Right Carpet Cushion Is One of Your Carpet’s Most Important Components
Carpet cushions, or carpet pads, serve as the base that helps carpet retain its texture and appearance and is crucial to carpet performance and longevity.
Cushion is made primarily from polyurethane foam (including the very common bonded foam product referred to as “rebond”), fiber or rubber and comes in several styles and constructions.
In addition to enhancing the comfort and performance of your carpet, carpet pads can bring added bonuses.
Carpet cushions can prevent spills from seeping into the cushion, inhibit the growth of mildew, provide sound insulation, and in some cases, extend the life of your carpet’s warranty.
A proper cushion benefits carpet by:
- Increasing comfort level
- Extending carpet life
- Absorbing impact
- Reducing sound
- Insulating rooms for better climate control
- Helping carpet resist matting and crushing
Unsuitable carpet cushion can cause:
- Poor carpet appearance
- Wrinkling and buckling
- Delamination (separation of carpet backing)
- Separation of carpet seams and/or loss of tufts
- Breakdown of carpet structure
- Voiding applicable manufacturer’s warranties
Choosing the right cushion is just as important as choosing the right carpet. Because it is the only producer of both in the industry, SmartCushion by Mohawk provides the best system in the industry.
Preliminary Cushion Check List:
- Find out the carpet manufacturer’s general requirements. Carpet cushion is sold by its thickness and density. A cushion that is too soft will adversely affect the performance of the carpet. A cushion that is too thick interferes with the anchoring of the carpet.
- Assess the traffic levels and patterns in the carpet’s designated location. CRI suggests a softer, thicker cushion in bedrooms, dens, lounge areas and other rooms with light or moderate traffic. Living rooms, family rooms, hallways, stairs and other areas with heavy traffic require thinner, firmer, more resilient cushion.
- A heated floor system — also referred to as hydronic, or “radiant—heated” floor — can be used under carpet. You will need to check the thermal resistance rating (R—value) of both the carpet and padding. CRI notes that most floor systems manufacturers suggest a total maximum R—value for carpet and cushion not to exceed 4.0. Mohawk’s Specifiers Choice synthetic cushions are ideal for radiant—heated floors.
- Learn your specific carpet type. Carpets come in cut pile (including textured plush, Saxony, frieze’, and velvet), cut—loop, level loop, and multi—level loop–or patterned–pile. Different constructions may have different cushion requirements. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations for your particular carpet or visit http://www.carpet-rug.org.
~Mohawk SmartCushion has partnered with Susan G. Komen for the Cure™ to help fund ongoing breast cancer research. Find out what you can do to take part in Decorate for the Cure and help work toward the vision of a cancer—free world.~
*The Running Ribbon® is a registered trademark of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®.